It was exciting to kick off our Advance Innovation Program, Propel. The Australian entrepreneurs spent two weeks in LA and San Francisco to gain resources, and develop expertise and international connectedness for their companies. There was an opportunity to meet the 2018 Propel Cohort in Los Angeles and San Francisco at our Propel and Cheers & Chill events.
Investing in the next generation of Australian talent? For Advance, it’s a no-brainer. The 2018 Advance Award mentoring applications opened again for final year University students to kick-start their careers. Our Asia director, Stefanie Myers, met with 2016 Advance Global Mentee Thomas Brown in Jakarta to hear about his experience in the Advance Awards mentoring program. Check out what he had to say here.
The Advance community attended the Australian Alumni Reception in Boston with the Ambassador of Australia, His Excellency, the Honourable Joe Hockey and Alastair J. M. Walton, Australian Consul-General in New York.
On the last day of May, the Advance community came together for a Cheers & Chill at the Australian Anthony Horth Gallery in New York. It was the perfect opportunity to meet new friends, catch up with old ones, and be reminded of home by Anthony Horth's stunning Australian landscapes.
It’s important to us to collaborate with organisations that share similar values. That's why we were excited to support the international launch of 10x10, an Australian live crowdfunding “for purpose organisation” that is empowering the next generation of giving.
In this month's Born Global, we focused on the incredible Australians who are living in the cultural and political capital, Washington DC. Check out their stories here.
Industry and Innovation Champions:
- Australian oncologists & past Advance innovation program participants have designed an app which harnesses smartphone technology to help patients fight cancer. Incredible work!
- 2018 Australian of The Year & UNSW Prof Michelle Simmons has been elected Fellow of The Royal Society — the highest scientific honour bestowed by the academy
- Former CSIRO boss Megan Clark was formally named as the head of the Australian Space Agency for its first year of operations - she predicts booming the sector could produce 20,000 Australian jobs
- Singapore startup Carousell has raised $112 million in Series C funding to invest in AI. The community marketplace app has been active in Australia since late 2016
- Chris Boshuizen, Advance Award winner and board member has sent a phone into space - wow!
- Very exciting to hear that two UTS Alumni graduates have been recognised for their outstanding leadership in the areas of entrepreneurship and finance at the 9th annual Australia China Alumni Awards