We hosted the third Born Global Salon for 2018 supported by OFX. With a stunning backdrop of Sydney Harbour, it was a stellar evening filled with inspiring conversations amongst friends, new and old. The night featured Mandy Drury, global CNBC Anchor, in conversation with Dr Catriona Wallace, founder and CEO of Flamingo AI and 2017 Advance Award winner. Catriona spoke about our artificially intelligent future, how AI can revolutionise the world, transform service across multiple industries and her concerns about gender bias being hard coded into machine learning algorithms.
Our global CEO, Serafina Maiorano, attended the ASEAN CEO Forum in Sydney which focused on topics vital to deepening economic integration. It was a valuable forum for the private sector and government to work together to tackle key challenges and drive forward regional prosperity.
It’s important to us to collaborate with organisations that share similar values. That’s why it was exciting to be a community partner of the 2018 NEXUS Australia Summit. The Summit took place in Melbourne from 18 – 20th March, it was an inspiring few days filled with incredible content, connection and conversation around creating change!
We were proud to launch the Advance x PwC Australia report, Out of Sight, Out of Mind? Australia’s Diaspora as a Pathway to Innovation, on the power of Australia’s diaspora and its ability to help grow jobs, industries and drive economic growth for Australia.
Along with the release of the report, Advance hosted a roundtable discussion of leading directors, chief executives, startup founders and financiers to discuss how we can leverage the 1 million Australians working overseas and the 2.5 million Australian-educated Alumni. Guests included; Yasmin Allen, Chairman, Advance; Serafina Maiorano, Global CEO, Advance; Emma Rugge Price, Australia CEO, Advance; Bill Ferris, Chairman, Innovation and Science Australia; Skander Malcolm, CEO, OFX; Joanne Gray, Managing Editor, AFR; Kristin Stubbins, Partner, PwC and Bede Moore, CEO, TechSydney.
Read more about the roundtable in the Australian Financial Review.
For International Women’s Day this year, we created a video celebrating the fantastic female Advance Award winners. A wonderful and reflective #IWD2018.
This month the Advance community were transported to San Francisco through our Born Global e-series. Check out the incredible global Aussies who share their insights and stories about living and working the city here.
Industry and Innovation Champions:
- Australian quantum physicist Professor Michelle Yvonne Simmons, won the 2018 Australian of the Year for her work in recognition of her pioneering research and inspiring leadership in quantum computing
- The 50 Top Innovative Companies that started in Sydney. We love seeing #BornGlobal Aussie companies making their mark!
- Three countries, two border crossings, a minefield and a deadline: former ambassador to China and member of the Advance Global Advisory Council, Geoff Raby road tests China's new Silk Road
- This year the Aussies represented Australia at the Oscars with the total of 4 nominations and 1 win. Congratulations to Australian Lee Smith for winning the 2018 Academy Award for Best Film Editing for his work on Dunkirk movie!
- Members of the Advance community were listed in Australia's nine most influential female entrepreneurs 2018. Congrats!