Advance certainly started of 2018 in style - at the stunning Montage Beverly Hills in Los Angeles for our first Born Global Salon of the year.
On a warm breezy winter evening overlooking the Los Angeles skyline, a gathering of some of our community’s best and brightest joined. Amongst industry leaders, entrepreneurs, pioneers and politicians, we enjoyed crisp Penfolds wine, delicious canapés and a special live music performance from Betty Who.
We were delighted to see G’Day USA turn 15; an incredible initiative to help proper the unique relationships between Australia and the USA. We shared news about the celebrations and attended some of the events. We look forward to the next 15!
In this month's Born Global, we took members to Los Angeles and interviewed some of inspiring people, check out their stories here.
January kept us busy with the search for global Aussies achieving extraordinary things for the Advance Awards and our Innovation Program, Propel. It’s certainly an exciting endeavor, helping Australia’s best startups expand to global markets.
It’s important to Advance to to collaborate with organisations that hold similar values. That’s why we were excited to work with the NEXUS Australia Youth Summit and AICD to spread the work of great Australian initiatives.
Our events calendar filled quickly with Australia Day events around the world from Singapore to San Francisco. In true Aussie spirit, we catalogued each and every celebration to help global Aussies celebrate - no matter where they were in the world!
Industry and Innovation Champions:
- Did you see all the amazing people on the Australia Day Honours List? We were delighted to see a few supporters of Advance recognised for their achievements - Board Member Michelle Garnaut AO, 2017 Life Sciences Award winner Professor David Sinclair AO and 2017 Advance Awards Partner Geoff Wilson AO of Wilson Asset Management
- Melanie Perkins, CEO of Canva, became the first Australian startup since Atlassian to join the elite ranks of Silicon Valley unicorns with a valuation in excess of $US1 billion ($1.28 billion)
- Australian Designer, Kym Ellery (Ellery), unveils her first couture collection at Paris Haute Couture Fashion week. Beautiful is an understatement
- Huge acquisition of Aussie-founded cybersecurity company ThreatMetrix. Congratulations to longtime Advance member Alisdair Faulkner and the team!
- 2017 Life Sciences Award winner Professor David Sinclair AO has been continuing his amazing work towards radically reversing the ageing process which will revolutionise the economy and markets