April was an exciting month for Advance as we launched our brand new Advance Global Australians website! A huge thank you to our digital natives in the team who made this happen.
We hosted the fourth Born Global Salon for 2018 with an Innovation themed breakfast in Beijing. Advance members came together on a chilly spring morning to welcome Jeremy Balkin, Head of Innovation for HSBC and 2017 Advance Global Award Winner and Jia Li, investor, entrepreneur, Founder of Investango and ANU alumnus, in conversation with CCTV Anchor Cheng Lei. Following the welcome by Stefanie Myers, Advance Asia Director and H.E. Jan Adams AO PSM, Australian Ambassador to China, the speakers launched into an engaging conversation on the ways in which millennials have shaped global business, are the leading influencers on consumer and lifestyle trends, as well as how Australian and Chinese millennials can be the architects of their own success. Check out what some of our members thought.
In the last week of April, the Advance community came together for a Cheers & Chill networking event in Singapore. Guests enjoyed Tasmanian salmon and cheese from TasMania Fresh, whilst viewing works by the local and international artists in a gorgeous Peranakan shophouse, Art Porters Gallery. We made a video so you can see what happened on the night!
At Advance, we are invested in helping Australians expand globally. We helped our friends over at Stash uncover Aussie engineering talent in the US.
Our events calendar filled quickly with ANZAC Day events around the world. We catalogued each event so that our global Aussies could join in commemorating this distinguished date.
In this months Born Global, we explored the busy city of Beijing. Read the inspiring stories of the global Aussies who are kicking goals in China's capital.
Check out the Born Global spotlight video we made about Liam Kearney, a Australian Government 2017 New Colombo Plan Fellow.
Industry and Innovation Champions:
- Jeremey Heimans, Advance Award winner 2012, and co-founder of GetUp! released his new book, New Power. If you are interested in having a positive impact on the world, and being inspired by a #BornGlobal Aussie leader, get yourself a copy!
- It was exciting to see that 11 Aussie startup founders made the 2018 Forbes 30 under 30 Asia list. Check it out here
- Annabelle Harron goes from Adelaide to Hollywood, dressing stars including Oprah
- Australian Teresa Truda has cracked the China market with her crypto-based travel app, Chozun
- Usman Iftikhar, an Australian who helps refugees and migrants create their own small businesses, has been named the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year