From innovating in one of the world's most established industries to introducing cafe culture to China, to harnessing the power of Artificial Intelligence (and a lot in between), Australians are at the forefront of some of the most exciting and innovative industries and developments around the world.
It has been another successful year of the Advance Awards. This year was held at the striking Art Gallery of NSW where ten high-achieving global Australians were announced as the 2017 Advance Global Australian Award winners. Check out the event wrap up here.
We are all about celebrating the achievements of international Australians - talent is our greatest export! We thank the Australian Government for their continued support, check out what the Hon Julie Bishop MP had to say at the 2017 Advance Awards.
In October, we were delighted to invite the Advance community to an evening hosted by Michelle Garnaut, CEO of M Restaurant Group and Advance Board Member, at M Glam in Shanghai. We were joined on the evening by Advance Board Member Chris Boshuizen who shared stories of his experience as an Australian scientist and entrepreneur working at the intersection of technology and space exploration.
To lead Advance in Asia, we are thrilled to officially welcome our new Asia Director, Stefanie Myers. Stefanie is based in Hong Kong and her extensive network of business, government and non-government contacts throughout the Asia Pacific region will be a great asset to our community.
It was great to see the Advance community come together for a Brisbane Cheers & Chill event to meet new friends and to catch up with old ones.
This month in our Born Global we explored the dynamic metropolis of Jakarta, check out what we learnt about the city from our global Aussies.
Industry and Innovation Champions:
- 2017 Advance Award winner (Food and Agriculture), Jackie Yun, was on Radio National this morning talking about her Award and cafe culture in China - have a listen here
- Australia will use its seat on the United Nations Human Rights Council to push for the empowerment of women, indigenous rights and abolition of the death penalty. Read about it here
- Drones bearing piping hot burritos are about to start swooping down on the Australian countryside, part of a new phase of tests by Google affiliate Project Wing. Australia, am I right?
- Australian Graphic design startup 99designs relocates global HQ to Melbourne as it looks to list on the ASX
- Did you know that 2017 Advance Award winner (Technology Innovation) Dr Catriona Wallace raised $5M in 12 minutes? Read more about it here